This recipe is a little more cultural than my usual creations. But I feel that's a good thing - we all need to switch it up and get a little crazy every now and again!
So this chicken is great in a wrap (obviously *hence* picture)
But also delicious on rice, in a taco or even just by itself with some delicious sides to round out the meal
It's a spicy blend of flavors complimented by the crunch of the cashews and tender chicken pieces. You can adjust the spice to fit your likings (just add more/less red pepper flakes)
The original recipe came from my sister who is doing an awesome job this year at making all her meals for the upcoming two weeks on a Sunday... brilliant! And this was one of those meals - so FYI it freezes beautifully!
-4 chicken breasts (cooked and diced)
-2 TBSP soy sauce
-1/2 TBSP olive oil
-1 tsp red pepper flakes (or to your liking)
-1 onion - minced
-1 TBSP. minced garlic (or garlic salt)
-1/2 cup cashews
-4 TBSP. soy sauce
-1 1/2 TBSP cornstarch
-1 TBSP sugar
-2 tsp. white vinegar
1. Combine 1 TBSP. soy sauce and olive oil in a bowl, add diced chicken and let marinate while you prepare the other ingredients
2. Whisk 4 TBSP soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar and vinegar - set aside
3. Add chicken, onions, garlic and red pepper to a pan set on medium heat
4. Cook until chicken is golden - about 3 or 4 minutes
5. Add cashews and cook another minute
6. Add the sauce and let it simmer until thickened, around 5 more minutes
7. Serve HOT over rice, in a tortilla, any which way your little tummy desires!